Salmonella control - Scandinavia
In Salmonella control programs in Scandinavia no vaccination is used and the emphasis is on biosecurity with extensive flock monitoring.
Salmonella-free poultry production is based on five basic principles:
- The breeding pyramid is free of Salmonella.
All grandparent birds are imported, quarantined and repeatedly tested for Salmonella.
- Feed and water given to the chickens must be Salmonella-free.
This is achieved through:
Chickens must be kept in a Salmonella-free environment.
High hygiene and biosecurity standards.
Regular monitoring of the whole production chain. Samples are taken from flock to slaughterhouse level.
Immediate action whenever Salmonella is detected.
- import control on raw materials.
- mandatory heat treatment of compound feeding stuff for
- HACCP-based Salmonella control in the feed industry.
Percentage of Salmonella-positive flocks in Scandinavia 2000